Thursday, January 30, 2014

New Year's Resolutions

So I'm a little pleased with myself because I'm getting this post up before the end of January (my normal suggestion for everyone is to make New Year's resolutions in December, that way you actually have a slim chance of succeeding).  However, as I came back to Provo I made a mental list of things that I always want to have in my life and thought they were worth writing down.  So here we go.

1.  Never forget to smile
As children we always smile.  We laugh, we cry, we are quick to forget and easy to entertain.  Children are fascinated by the simplest things, and I never want to loose that childlike appreciation for the world.  As we grow older the adult world seems to pile up on us and somehow our brains get so filled with bills, grades, and responsibilities that we forget the beauty of a sunrise, the miracle of the rain, and the absolute wonders that surround us everyday.  Don't.  Smile at the little things and life will take you far.

2.  Always give the benefit of the doubt. 
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle".  Sometimes all people need is the benefit of the doubt.  Sometimes the greatest gift you can give someone is saying, "Hey, I know you messed up, but I still think you're worth something."  Forgiveness and understanding is a rare commodity in this world and there is a dire need for those who strive to attain such qualities.  Let's start right now.  Stop judging and criticizing first, think things through, and remember you never know what a man's gone through till you walk two moons in his shoes.

3.  Never forget to love.
Love people; love, love, love, and love them some more.  Love heals, love lifts, and even if it isn't accepted, it stretches us into something more than we could ever be without it.  Love changes; love helps us discover who we really are. Love is a catalyst that stretches us beyond our normal capacity and leaves us a better person.  Love is hard, love is tough, and it doesn't come easy.  It is not something we are entitled to, but rather it is a gift.  Never forget that.

There you go.  My life long goals.  It's late, but happy New Year everyone!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're my favorite.