Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Life in Amman

These past few weeks have been crazy!  Mark and I have enjoyed getting used to this crazy city and our lives here.  We really have the best of both worlds, because Mark is able to work here while I'm studying, a luxury most of the other spouses do not enjoy.  It is also awesome for me because I have an automatic chauffeur, something that is definitely needed if your a girl and want to go out anytime past 7:30!
One of my favorite things has been looking out at the city from our apartment.  Up there I feel farther away from everything and can watch the cars and people as they go about their lives.  It is a nice time to soak everything in.  Unless, of course, you have a dust storm suffocating you!  Perhaps when I'm old it will make a good story, but I highly discourage anyone to go searching for a dust storm.  The sky has finally cleared up though.  Well, by cleared up I mean that it is back to the smoggy state it was before the dust storm (which is about like Provo on really bad days, in case any of you want a comparison).
Arabic is going well.  The program is intense, but I thoroughly enjoy having my life being centered completely on Arabic.  I love being in a new city and meeting new people.  I'm starting to make friends here and it's a very exciting adventure!  The most exciting thing though is that next week we are headed out to Petra!  We will go on a four day trip and see a crusaders castle, Petra, Aqaba, and go off-roading in Wadi Rum.  It will be an exciting trip!  For now, however, we have been visiting some of the sights here in Amman.  We went to the Roman amphitheater as well as the roman ruins of the citadel and the temple of Hercules.  It was beautiful and totally worth the 3 dinar ($4) for all the sights.  Downtown is a fun place to visit and we have a knife shop we like to visit and talk to the shopkeeper there.  It's alive and full of shops, so it's fun to visit every so often.
Till next time!

No comments: